There’s a time limit for appraisals of all jewelry containing gemstones and precious metals. Values change from year to year.
Why and When should you get an old appraisal updated?
- If your past appraisal is 3 or more years old, an insurance company needs current information as to condition and value.
- If you are changing insurance companies.
- If you are remounting a stone or modifying an item, thus significantly altering its identity and changing its value.
- If there is volatility in the marketplace which causes severe changes of gemstones and precious metal prices.
- If you need an appraisal for another use such as a divorce, estate settlement or liquidation.
- If you are gifting or bequeathing the item.
- If you are placing the item into a trust.
“An appraisal is a reality check of value at specific date in time,” Ben continues.
“An appraisal must give as complete a description of an item as is needed to indemnify the insured in case of damage, loss or theft. Without accurate identification, it cannot be accurately valued or replaced, should the need arise.”
Ben frequently mentions the term indemnity. “It’s the main purpose for an insurance replacement appraisal,” he says. “And yet we seldom hear other appraisers use the word.”
What’s indemnity, it is making a consumer whole again in case of loss. “I’ll look at the piece and describe it, to ensure there are no errors or insufficient information that would make it impossible to replace the item with one that is identical or nearly alike, as well as set a proper premium for it,” Ben says. “We ensure the appraisal is complete and adequate, so the customer can be made whole, in the event an insurance claim is made.”
EVALUATING YOUR JEWELRY
IS OUR ONLY BUSINESS
FOR ALL ITS WORTH
An independent jewelry appraisal solution for confidence:
- confidence that the buyer received what they paid for!
- confidence in knowing your jewelry never leaves your sight!
- confidence in a Master Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser with 65 years of professional experience in the jewelry trade.
That’s what a Jewelry Judge Appraisal Report delivers to every client. Book an Appointment Today!
Jewelry Judge Ben Gordon
5433 Westheimer Rd, Suite 606
Houston, TX 77027
713-961-1432 or www.jewelryjudgebengordon.com