Norovirus is an epidemic of gastroenteritis, happening all too often on cruise ships. Limit your exposure by:
- Washing your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Washing fruits and vegetables and ensure seafood is cooked thoroughly.
- When you are sick, do not prepare food.
- Clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces.
- Wash laundry thoroughly and machine dry.
Pirate Virus is an epidemic of Tourists easily separated from their money.
Limit your exposure to overpaying for jewelry by avoiding:
- Inflated List Prices – Nothing says value like a price tag. Pirates inflate “list” prices on the tags, trying to lure you into thinking the jewelry is worth much more than it is. Then if you bargain they will reduce the price and still make a pirate’s profit.
- Light Makes White – Bright lights make every diamond look better. Pirate shops may have special light bulbs to make a yellowish diamond glisten white.
- Hide the Flaws – Pirates may hide flaws under the prongs of the setting. Under the prong, an I1 clarity may appear like a more valuable VS2. Learn more about the 4Cs.
- Grade Bumping – Pirates exaggerate the grade. Pirates will be INACCURATE by one or two color and clarity grades since you do not know which lab definitions they use. Pirates like to provide a range, such as G-H color.
- Laser Drilling – Pirate diamonds may have drill holes to hide dark carbon impurities and enhance the diamond clarity when viewed by the naked eye.
- Fracture Filling – Pirates use inexpensive fracture filled diamonds, which make the flaws invisible, but the diamond is unstable and likely to break.
- Synthetic Diamonds – “Natural” Lab Grown diamonds are everywhere! Especially on pirate ships where synthetics may get mixed-in with natural mined diamonds. Learn more about Synthetics.
- CZ, Quartz or Moissanite – Diamond look-a-likes “simulants” can fool you and every pirate knows it. You might come home with a $12 cubic zirconia that cost you $2,000. It is amazing how these look-a-likes get mixed into pirate jewelry.
- The 50% Off Sale – Pirates love Huge Sales (don’t you?). Don’t fall for it, pirates mark up everything, then mark them half-price during a sale. Liquidation and “going out of business” sales use the same ploy.
If you want to enjoy the Bounty and avoid over priced Pirate Booty, come in for a Jewelry Judge Consultation before your cruise! We will educate you on trends and scams we are aware of, as well as arm you with the knowledge to make you an informed consumer.
Beware of buying diamonds, gemstones or jewelry while on a cruise. Enjoy your vacation, enjoy the food, company and souvenir T-Shirts, but avoid the pirate jewelry. Put the money you will have saved from not buying the pirate jewelry toward another holiday! Bring us along as your guests!