1. Learn about the four Cs — the color of the diamond, the clarity of the diamond, the quality of the cut of the diamond, and the carat weight of the diamond. These will have the greatest impact on value and price of the diamond. Know the 5th C – Confidence comes with a Jewelry Judge Appraisal Report!
2. Check store reputations — always purchase from a jeweler who has been in business for a number of years. If you are not familiar with the jeweler or online site, check their reputation and rating with the Better Business Bureau and the American Gem Society before you buy.
3. Buy a certified diamond — it comes with a diamond grading report that has been issued by an independent, unbiased gemological institute (GIA or AGS preferred). This way, you have the opportunity to compare one diamond’s details to that of another, at the same store or different one.
4. Grading report — always purchase diamond jewelry accompanied by a grading report. The grading report provides an unbiased assessment of a jewel’s four Cs. It informs you if a stone is synthetic – in other words, man-made or laboratory grown – or has undergone any treatments, which may dramatically affect the value. Be sure an accredited gemological institute, such as GIA or AGS, has graded the diamond jewelry.
5. READ the store’s return policy — most reputable retailers have at least a 30-day, money-back guarantee, although there may be some cases where the jewelry is not returnable, such as if it has been custom-made for a particular client or engraved with unique initials.
6. Use a credit card — pay with a credit card and keep the receipt for your records, as it’s a legal document that protects the consumer should anything happen to the diamond. It may be required when making a return, always READ the store’s return policy for better protection. If there are any problems, make sure you deal with it as soon as possible to qualify for consumer protection against fraudulent transactions.
7. Bring it to the Jewelry Judge Ben Gordon — for verification many jewelry stores and on-line merchants will send the jewelry to our gem lab in advance of your purchase so we can authenticate the diamond grading report prior to your purchase. If not, bring it in for verification as soon as possible!
Download this PDF Document and share it with your friends and family.
Jewelry Judge Ben Gordon
5433 Westheimer Road, Suite 606
Houston, TX. 77056
Call for an appointment 713 961 1432 we try to accommodate your busy schedule!
Book an appointment online: Book Appointment